Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Monday, November 24, 2008

What's the deal with autoresponders?

What do you think about autoresponders?

I will never have one cause I'm on too many mailing lists, and now that I have my iPhone and an assistant my email checking is a bit easier, though I'm sometimes slow to respond.

But last week I sent 2 business-related emails and got autoresponders, much more than just a line or two. One was many, many paragraphs and honestly offended me with its presumptuousness. I won't get into all the details because I'm sure they have their reasons, but I can say as someone on the receiving end, I felt like I was being scolded and all I had done was send a professional query. And I should say that the person with the shorter autoresponse got back to me in a very timely manner with an attentive, thoughtful response that impressed me.

My first reaction was to think, "Oh, maybe an autoresponder is the sign of a successful blog." The "I'm too busy doing Important Things to respond to your petty little email" type of thing. But then I realized that it's just not me. I'm not even sure what I'd say, but I'm not gonna worry about it. I get being busy. I have a love/hate relationship with email. Sometimes I'm refreshing my many inboxes and hoping someone interesting writes to me, and sometimes I can't be bothered to compose 2 sentences to my closest friends.

So I'll turn it over to. Yay or nay on autoresponders?

Also, if you don't hear back from me after 3 days (not counting this week when, iPhone notwithstanding, I am gonna be enjoying Austin and having sex and eating cupcakes and such), you can email me again, preferably at rachelravenous at gmail.com for fastest response. The amount of unread email in my main inbox is...scary. Seriously; when I went to the Apple Store to buy my phone I think I scared the woman helping me with my inbox.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At November 25, 2008, Blogger Jennette Fulda said...

I am "nay." I post a notice on my contact page saying I don't necessarily reply to everyone for time reasons and it's nothing personal. Most people will understand that you're busy. An autoresponder seems kind of cold, and honestly I'd rather here nothing than to get a robot email. When I get an autoresponder, there's the momentary fakeout when I think the person has responded to me right away and I get happy....and then immediately feel let down when I see it's just a form letter.

 
At November 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nay. Too impersonal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home