Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Pregnancy Pickle Contest

(I feel like I need to preface this by saying I'm not pregnant. Hopefully, there will be a contest like this going on in the future when I am knocked up, because we all know I love a good contest.)

SMITH and artisanal pickle crafters Rick’s Picks are asking anyone with an amazing, unusual, or simply memorable pregnancy story to tell it in 100 words or less. You don’t need a bun in the oven at this moment, just at some point in your life (and a photo to prove it). We don’t care how or with whom you had and/or raised your baby, we just want to hear your story.

Three grand prize winners will be featured on a nationally distributed line of pickles, the aptly named Slices of Life—“the pickle of pregnancy.”


By now I'm sure you've heard about Thomas Beattie, the pregnant man who will soon be on Oprah.



What I think is interesting is how quickly this went from a story by him I read in The Advocate's Transgender issue, (it's online and well worth reading) to national headlines. Hopefully, beyond the shock headlines, it will provoke some discussion about child-rearing, gender, and gender roles. Sadly, I think it has already started to devolve into name-calling (just check the Daily News link above for some evil comments) and simplistic assumptions of binary gender that fail to conceive of the whole "love makes a family" notion. It's actually probably good that I can't enter the contest above; I'm too mouth for just 100 words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home