Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, December 28, 2007

Ariel Gore on Jamie Lynn Spears



Hip Mama founder and mother of two Ariel Gore on Jamie Lynn Spears:

People have dozens of reasons why they say having a baby before the magic age of twenty is uncool, but mostly it’s a class issue.

Some schools of feminist thought have allied themselves with the elitists, arguing that women should get their educations first, get their careers on track first, go through years of therapy first. Because the institution of motherhood has been used to oppress us, they insist that we should delay or forgo child-bearing rather than reinvent the whole freakin' institution. That’s fine if it’s our true choice. But what if it’s a teenagers true choice to parent? Should we not have that right? Instead we're ridiculed and, adding injury to insult, we're denied equal access to education.

I mean, I don't know Jamie Lynn. Maybe she's a total nut job. Maybe J.Lo is, too. And maybe that straight, married, 40-year-old neighbor of mine is, too. But who gets to decide who's fit to parent?

When I got pregnant at 36, a few magazine editors asked me to write about how different it was from my experience as a teen mom. When they realized I wouldn't dis my first pregnancy or characterize it as a sad reality I’d valiantly “overcome,” they decided they weren't so interested.

I’m glad I got pregnant when I did. The first time. And the second time.

Why are we allowed to discuss only the downside of teen pregnancy? And why aren't we allowed to admit that by delaying child-bearing, we risk our own health as well as our children’s? We certainly risk not being able to get pregnant at all.

2 Comments:

At December 28, 2007, Blogger Glimmer Man said...

I think there's some truth to what she is saying... society has certainly changed. It was once common practice to marry, have kids before 18. Now it's looked at differently. Some of that may be due to longevity we now enjoy. Was also common not to survive beyond age 50. Now age 80 is likely. That still doesn't completely explain it though since you would have expected the age at which a woman gives birth to only rise a bit to say 20 or somewhere in the range of 20 to 25 perhaps.

I think for me personally as a father, the big issues are "unintended pregnancy" which would likely mean unsafe sex, and the fact that they are celebrities who are pictured all over the place.

One positive thing did come out of this whole Jamie Lynn Spears and Brittany Spears train-wreck of motherhood series. I had heart to heart discussions with my two youngest daughters, aged 12 and 14 about this.

Being paid by OK magazine for your teen pregnancy story.... $150,000

Costs for raising a kid through 18 years of age... $146,800

Able to have a real world example to kick start "the talk"... *priceless*

Somethings money truly can't buy. ;)

 
At December 29, 2007, Blogger Michael Dowd said...

For a fresh, compassionate, and spiritually mature way of thinking about Jamie Lynn Spear's pregnancy, and a wise and effective way of talking with tween and young teenage girls about this issue, see "Zoey 101, Brain Science 101": http://thankgodforevolution.com/blog/p,91 - a recent blog post written by a gifted science writer and teacher (my wife), Connie Barlow. Then, if you'd like more information, I recommend Chapters 9 and 10 in my just-published book (endorsed by 5 Nobel Prize-winning scientists and dozens of religious leaders from different traditions): "Thank God for Evolution!: How the Marriage of Science and Religion Will Transform Your Life and Our World", which can be downloaded for free as a pdf here: http://thankgodforevolution.com/book-trailer.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home