Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"It's a New Times thing; we wouldn't understand."

This is not going to be the ongoing blog about me getting fired from my sex column, I promise, but because of the incredible support and laugh out loud humor readers have been providing of late, I feel I should do another roundup. As for me, I'm focused on my future and the many writing assignments I'm currently juggling, not so much this, but thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me/the Internet/the Voice. I just wanted to say: I noticed.

It's been interesting to note that the Voice announced their new sex columnists on their blog (with no mention of getting rid of me), then lured readers from the front page, first with "Readers revolt over new sex column," later changed to "Readers react to new sex column" (now gone). Comments there continue to pile up.

Emrecom wins my own personal version of Gawker’s Gold Star Motel commenter awards, which I’ll just call the Vanilla Cupcake awards, for this one.

Maura has been posting about the new Voice sex column and it prompted this totally perfect comment from Emrecom:

It's a New Times thing; we wouldn't understand.

I’ve also been very impressed with how many people in non-sex media, some of it of the very mainstream variety, have reached out to me, showing me that they get what I was doing with the column, or trying to do. Thank you to everyone who's written me personally and those who have posted, which I'll try to round up below. I'm busier than I've ever been and definitely have plenty I plan to post about here.

Eros Zine roundup of sex news of the week

"Sex Columnist Gets Heave Ho," Perversely Poly

"I think we need some Team Rachel t-shirts made.," Blogishness

"The 'Voice" of the Affluent, not the Alternative," Sex in the Public Square

Is there any reason in the world we should care what kind of desk chair Essie Carmichael’s husband sits in to do his online “printer research?” And even worse, in the litany of product endorsements, the only item named that helped either woman achieve sexual satisfaction does not get its brand identified or promoted! What kind of sex column tells you exactly where to buy a dress that you don’t look good in, and a lunch that spoils your diet but then doesn’t name the amazing showerhead that is reportedly the best gift Essie has ever been given and the only thing with which Nora has had sex in years?

"Married with children equals no sex?," Jolie du Pre

Shelley, if you're too dumpy for Forever 21 than utilize that nanny of yours and take your lazy ass to the health club. Trust me, once you get in shape you'll feel confident shopping wherever you fucking please. And you'll have SEX, lots of it.

As a married woman with children who has always had a vibrant sex life, if this is the new sex talk for the Village Voice , I'll pass.


"LOVE those stereotypes," Stories, Sex, and Silliness (Sage Vivant)

So my primary objection to this new Village Voice column is simply this: I fail to see how it advances the idea of open-minded sex philosophies and sex acts. To hear the whining and complaints of women who aren't getting any sex may feel just great to the women doing the whining, but the rest of us -- those who have healthy sex lives, with or without children -- are not enhanced, educated, or otherwise enlightened by anything this new column would spew out.

"*runs around nervous*," Having Read the Fine Print.....

The Village Voice has strapped on the skis and leather jacket and is sailing over the shark with an EH! in it's heart…

Look it's not that I have any more than my usual objections to the materialistic helpless white woman syndrome but I do have a problem with the phasing out of open source sex.

Open source sex meaning , you didn't have to like Lusty Lady ( personally i just wanted to spank her a bit, yes I'm bi if you've been reading you knew and if you didn't you do now!) , but if you liked spanking, or sex, or a perspective on sex that you couldn't find in the NYT it was useful.



I’m also just going to throw out a few links without comment except to say they might be of interest:

Over 40 Married Sex

Cookie magazine’s Mrs. Young Sex Tips for Moms

Update: Letters to the editor in this week's Village Voice

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home