Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Monday, February 20, 2006

Tucker Max defies the odds

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell



Don't know what the deal is with this but I think these were self-published or something, anyway Amazon tells me there are 2 out of print Tucker Max books, too. I'm a huge fan of the word "debauchery" so that would've sold me.

I've been thinking about it a little more, and I also realized that part of what I haven't seen before Tucker Max is a guy writing about sex—his sex drive, his sexual conquests, the specific sex acts he engages in—quite so openly, without couching it in humor, nerves, failure, coyness. Ames does it, yes, but this is a little different. Jonathan Franzen, take note (though I'm sure he'd find it awful and horrible and all those other things, because "every orgasm is more or less the same," right ladies? Or guys, for that matter. I know, when I really dislike something I've read, I harp on it, but I thought that was such a ludicrous essay (Franzen's "Books in Bed" which is reprinted in How to Be Alone) that I'm gonna keep talking about it.

Below (in ital) are the four reasons (edited slightly down from their longer originals) eebmore called me an imbecile (yes, I know he retracted that statement but still find his original comments worth quoting), and they're fascinating in light of Tucker, who probably gets laid more than, well, more than any guy I know. Or at least, that I know about it, because most aren't talking about their sex lives pretty much at all, or nowhere near in as much details, or crudeness.

I'm not saying everyone should be this way. Hell, I'm not. Which is why it's always weird for me when people call this a "sex blog" because I'm very rarely talking about my personal sex life here, not because I hardly have one, but because it's just not the right forum for it, for me. But anyway, I think Tucker's example alone (aside from the various other guys I brought up last time), should be enough to prove this isn't true, and that I was wrong—there are some straight guys talking about their sex lives, to much success, as well. I'm not sure why it's so rare, and yes, there are other men writing about their sex lives, but it's usually couched in the form of a problem, or an after-the-fact recitation. Rarely is it so up-front and honest, maybe for some of the reasons below, but if Tucker is making $10,000/month from his site, has a book (I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell) on the NYT bestseller list and has girls swarming him all the time, I think that's pretty interesting right there. Maybe it's in how you tell it, maybe it's in sounding utterly confident, I don't know. I did find it interesting that the Boston Globe asked him what his parents think about his current career/lifestyle. I still think it's a condescending and infantilizing question to ask any adult, male or female, a way of saying "you should be ashamed of yourself," but for once it's not a girl being asked.

1. Men do not write frankly about sex because nobody wants to read a guy writing frankly about sex. It would be the prosaic equivalent of listening to a goon come into the office and tell everyone that he "got some" the night before. Nooooobody cares.

2. Men do not write frankly about sex because nobody would believe him/them. See reason 1, and add disbelief. It would be fairly safe to assume that such a man is a goon, a moron, AND a complete liar.

3. Men describing specific details of sexual interplay is about as hot as seeing a man walk down the street completely nude.

4. This is the humdinger most important reason that men do not write frankly about sex on the internet. If word got out that a man was writing specific, graphic details about his sex life, said man WOULD NEVER EVER GET LAID AGAIN, for the rest of his life. Ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home