Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Monday, January 30, 2006

Search engines and racism gone mad

Pretty much every recent search has been about Elizabeth Hayt (she was on David Lee Roth's show today), Lisa Loeb's thong and/or ass (she bared her thonged ass last night on her E! show #1 Single), or Jewish blowjobs. Can't really help you on any of these counts but Lisa's official site is Lisaloeb.com

I am rarely one to trash talk other people's writing on here, but I agree 100% with Judy McGuire about Elizabeth Hayt's most recent New York Post column "Love Isn't Always (Color) Blind." First off, she's not talking about love. Or even sex. She's talking about racism and white liberal guilt and maybe sexual curiosity, without stating the latter outright, and never mentioning the size issue. While I think generally it's great to examine one's prejudices, she does very little examining here. Unlike Scott Poulson-Bryant's claims that everyone is fascinated with the (myth of the) "big black dick," Hayt is totally freaked out (yet manages to assure us her man was not only good in bed, but he was a "good" black guy, a neurosurgeon.) She quotes her friend who says "The sex turned out to be an incredibly reassuring human experience," - as in, she was reassured that her Nigerian lover was human! She also puts her fears onto her lover, asking if he is nervous, rather than admitting to him that she is/was. Here's Hayt, whose words I think speak for themselves:

Standing in the surgeon's bedroom, I was frozen with fear. It was one thing to be seen in public with him, but quite another to be naked. The darkness of his body was frighteningly exotic, so opposite my own fairness, which, by comparison, I suddenly perceived to be weak and wane. How would I touch his hair when I couldn't run my fingers through it? What if he was physically aggressive?

My reaction startled me. Until that night, I'd prided myself on being progressive and tolerant, especially since I'd devoted many years to teaching at inner-city high schools. I was no Scarlett O'Hara, yet, to my shame and horror, I held sexual fears that were practically antebellum. Where did they come from? Who was to blame?

No one and nowhere, I surmised. I had unconsciously inherited social myths about African-Americans because I had no personal basis for formulating my own opinions. My fears resulted from ignorance. I wasn't even aware I harbored them until I had to face them. But when my lips met my bedmate's, all my worries melted away. I ran my hand over his head, enjoying the wooliness of his hair. I'd never felt anything like it. And as for his moves? We were totally in sync.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home