Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Saturday, August 27, 2005

sublime

I am chilling in the country (to be honest, I don't know the exact town, and that's just fine) with some friends and food and much lounging, eating, relaxing, chatting. Listening to adult alternative which is taking me back with 10,000 Maniacs and the like, and I heard "Polaroids" by Shawn Colvin, which is the first song I ever heard Mary Lou Lord sing (on the very excellent Safe and Sound benefit CD which also has Letters to Cleo doing "You Dirty Rat," which is my favorite kind of fun, catchy pop song). Am almost done with the new Dan Savage book. Speaking of Dan, did you know The Stranger has a blog? I didn't. It's perfect here and just what I needed. (Kiddie book pop quiz: Which of these books does not belong here???)

Our cupcake blog was linked to by Metafilter ("Focused. Directed. Covered in frosting.") which is awesome. I have cupcakes on the brain as I compile tons of cupcake-related information into something concrete and tangible. Yes, I like lists. I like be pro-active. I am working on my ability to relax but I am admittedly compulsive, so I like when I can turn something I have a genuine passion for into something bigger than just my own...interest. Hobby. I guess you could say I have a big mouth, I get excited, and at various times in my life I've tried to be quieter, to be less big about things, but I've discovered that that doesn't really work for me. I've also found lately that my own lack of self-esteem, my lack of perspective, can sabotage me. I think people are just humoring by saying things about my writing, I assume my pieces won't make it in, so why bother.

But on the other hand, maybe deep deep down or in the very back of my mind, I do have the more than a big of ego and hubris, or at least, I want to. Because you can't get ahead, or I can't, I don't think, without at least somewhat "putting myself out there." I am just trying to craft ways to do that without foisting myself upon people. That's why I think the internet is perfect for writers and why I encourage any performer, comic and author I meet who doesn't blog or have a website to start, because it allows you to be "out there" but for people to discover your work on their own time, in their own way. The things I discover via my own curiosity are almost always more meaningful to me than things that are foisted upon me, though I love getting recommendations. I still want to (haven't done it yet, but I may take it to Turkey) read Elmer Gantry simply so that line in a Reputation song makes more sense.

Word of the day is sublime (see Ida's "The Morning" for its use in a song):

4 entries found for sublime.
sub·lime ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-blm)
adj.
Characterized by nobility; majestic.

Of high spiritual, moral, or intellectual worth.
Not to be excelled; supreme.
Inspiring awe; impressive.
Archaic. Raised aloft; set high.
Obsolete. Of lofty appearance or bearing; haughty: “not terrible,/That I should fear... /But solemn and sublime” (John Milton).

n.
Something sublime.
An ultimate example.

Site of the day: Susie Felber, who is a lovely hostess and fabulous cook and just totally welcoming and encouraging and an all-around awesome person. Right now she's making us all some cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home